States & UTs

    "If Hindus are entitled to reservation, then why not Muslims? says Samajwadi Party leader ST Hasan

    The Hawk
    May23/ 2024
    Last Updated:

    Hasan argues that just as Hindu washermen are granted reservations, Muslim washermen should also be accommodated. He criticizes PM Modi’s remarks on mangalsutras and BJP's allegations against Azamgarh, urging equal treatment for all citizens.

    Samajwadi Party leader ST Hasan

    Azamgarh (UP): Former Samajwadi Party MP ST Hasan asserted that Muslims are also entitled to reservations under the Constitution. He expressed his hopes that the INDIA bloc government, if elected, would grant reservations to Muslims too.
    Hasan argued that if the Constitution can provide reservations for Hindu washermen, it should similarly accommodate Muslim washermen.
    Speaking with ANI, SP leader ST Hasan said, "If the Indian constitution grants reservation to the Hindu population, then why not the Muslim population? I hope that if the INDIA alliance come to power, they will amend the constitution and give reservation rights to Muslims too."
    While taking a jibe at PM Modi's mangalsutra remarks, he said, "They are targeting Muslims, with only 20 per cent of the Hindu population supporting them, while the remaining 80 per cent Hindus are with Muslims. Aren't they citizens of the nation? Don't they feel bad?

    Also Read: 

    Addressing the BJP's allegations that Azamgarh is a terrorist hub, Hasan said, "They are disrespecting Azamgarh and its people. If someone from this city is accused of terrorism in Delhi, it doesn't necessarily mean the accusations are true."
    In response to the questions about not contesting the Lok Sabha elections of 2024, he said, "Akhilesh Ji wanted me to contest the elections, but due to some internal politics in the party, I was not given the seat. I am very close to the party and Akhilesh, and I am grateful for the opportunity to have contested the previous elections."
    Notably, polling for the Lok Sabha seats in Uttar Pradesh is being held across all seven phases. Voting in the first five phases has already been completed, while the remaining phases are scheduled for May 25, and June 1.
    The counting of votes for all phases has been scheduled for June 4.
    In the 2019 polls, the BJP mopped up the bulk of the electoral spoils in the state, winning 62 of the 80 Lok Sabha seats, while ally Apna Dal (S) won two more seats.
    Mayawati's BSP managed to secure 10 seats, while her then-alliance partner, Akhilesh Yadav's SP, had to settle for just 5 seats. The Congress won just a lone seat in the state.
    In the 2014 elections, the BJP swept UP, winning 71 seats, while the Congress could only bag 2.