Stepfather convicted for murder of Bollywood actor Laila Khan, five others

    The Hawk
    May10/ 2024
    Last Updated:

    Thirteen years after their disappearance, a Mumbai sessions court convicts the stepfather of Bollywood actor Laila Khan for murdering her, her mother, and four others. Parvez Tak, a resident of Jammu and Kashmir, was found guilty of the 2011 murders, with the sentencing set for May 14.

    Laila Khan actress

    Mumbai: A Mumbai sessions court on Thursday convicted the stepfather of Bollywood actor Laila Khan for the murder of the actor, her mother, and four others, including three of her siblings, thirteen years after they went missing.
    According to police, the accused, identified as Parvez Tak, a resident of Jammu and Kashmir, was arrested in 2012. Another accused, who is also involved in the case, is still on the run.
    The Court has held Tak guilty of murdering his stepdaughter and actor Laila Khan, her mother Shelina Patel, three of her siblings, and her cousin in February 2011.
    Nearly 40 witnesses were examined during the trial. The court will hear the defense and prosecution on the quantum of punishment on May 14.
    According to officials, Laila and her family members were killed and buried at their farmhouse in Igatpuri in February 2011. Their bodies were exhumed by police after the arrest of Tak in 2012.
    In 2011, Laila Khan, who had appeared in a few Bollywood movies, went missing along with her mother, three of her siblings and her cousin.
    Her father, Nadir Patel, had approached the police and lodged a complaint about their disappearance. Following the complaint, police launched a probe, which continued for months.
    The Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) was also involved in the case suspecting a terror angle. However, in July 2012, the ATS announced that Khan's matter was a murder case and there was 'no terror angle' to it.
    Their murder came to light a few months later, when Parvez Tak was arrested.
    Tak was first apprehended by Jammu and Kashmir police and was later handed over to Mumbai police.
    Later, during questioning, Tak revealed the murder and led the police to the remains of the deceased, which he had buried in a pit at the farmhouse in Igatpuri.